WWYD – adults need to be adults

How would you handle this? A person was contracted to perform a service for you, he did a shoddy job, didn’t even finish, yet still submitted his bill expecting to be paid in full. A conversation was had and no agreement was met and it seemed that for a while the matter was dropped. This person has occasion to meet your child at school as he has a child in the same class. This person repeatedly approaches your child and tells him to tell his parents that they still owe him for the work he did, and they should please pay up and even specifies the amount.

Your child has told him “if you have an issue with my father / mother, please take it up with them, let me give you the phone number.” But the man never calls, just hassles the kid whenever he sees him.

How would you handle this?

Bookmark and Share

Post Written by

No Comments

  1. batya from NJ says:

    i would contact the guy & tell him to leave my kid out of it b/c this is between him & me & not between my child & him. perhaps it would be good to resolve the matter at the bais din (rabbinical court). then again, maybe not! but certainly i would tell him to bug off my kid & if this is your kid hadassah, hopefully he won’t be bumping into this guy anyhow for much longer, with G-d’s help!

  2. Lion of Zion says:

    it is completely inappropriate for him to involve the kid. since this happened in school, i wouldn’t hesitate to notify the school the he is harassing the kid on school property.

  3. Mark says:

    Notify the school. Notify the guy bothering your kids. If it happens again notify the cops and tell them he is harassing your kids.

  4. Chanief says:

    I agree with the above comments. It’s completely inappropriate for an adult to be involving a child in a business matter.

  5. shorty says:

    I think it’s time to call the guy. Clearly the issue isn’t resolved.

    If you want, you can get an opinion on the job from a second service provider (or two) and get a couple of quotes to complete the job. Then show this person that the job isn’t finished and hasn’t been done well. Tell them that you will be willing to pay them when the job is complete.

    I guess that is what i would try and do. not sure it will work either. other than that, maybe pay him for hours worked and move on.

  6. I am with Lady of Zion.

  7. Rebecca says:

    If the guy does not listen to you, and the school cannot help, and the Rabbe can not help, the the child is being harrassed and u should call in the police or go to the Court for a restraining order. He must be stopped and u don’t know what he is doing to other children who might not be as verbal and strong as your own.

  8. tikunolam says:

    I am with Mark on this one. i

  9. sheldan says:

    There is NO way that the kid should be involved.

    I think that first I would call the man and inform him that under no circumstances is he to talk to my kid. If the man has an issue with me, he should be talking to me.

    I like Shorty’s suggestion of getting another quote and then telling the man that he should finish the job and then he will be paid.

    As the incidents are on school property, definitely talk to the school administration and have them talk to the man.

    If it has progressed beyond that point, as Rebecca said, it’s time to bring the police in. It could be that this could be the step it takes to get the man to listen to reason.

  10. Rebecca says:

    I am sorry Shelden but I would not have the man who did the work back in my house. People have weird agendas today, and who knows what he might do out of anger or vengence.

Leave A Reply